Experience Navigator - EVPL Stringtown
- - EVPL Stringtown
- Evansville, IN, USA
- Part Time
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Our Vision: Communities united through shared exploration and understanding.
Our Mission: We cultivate curiosity by creating wonder.
2100 Stringtown Rd
Evansville, IN 47711
Hours: position is scheduled approximately 20 hours per week Must be available to work all public service hours; including evenings, weekends, and Sunday.
Start Date: Immediately
I will be an experienced and knowledgeable guide to someone coming to the library for the first time, and every time after. For someone experiencing a tech challenge, I may be a tech tutor or troubleshooter. My forethought and problem-solving skills drive me to get to "yes" when circumstances could result in a "no." My enthusiasm for reading, listening, viewing and learning may encourage a family to check out something new along with a favorite picture book or DVD. I'm willing to put a cart of materials aside, or travel across town to support my colleagues. My sense of wonder and curiosity propel me to explore and experiment with events, exhibits and diverse ways of connecting people to ideas, information and each other both in the library and community. I advocate for a library that is open to all. I recognize that human beings are human and can be difficult, but I manage with confidence and calm. After all it is just part of a day designed to provide delight. I will work at all points of service, though I generally will do my work in an area that best suits my talents and aptitudes.
My Role in a Learning Organization
I know that to a library user I am the library, whether I am on the job, riding a bus, or checking out at the grocery store. In my role as the Library, beyond my positional role:
I have a positive mental attitude and enthusiastic role
- I have a positive mental attitude and enthusiasm for the work I do and as an organizational citizen
- I display initiative to delight a customer with prudent but extraordinary customer service
- I communicate with library users, colleagues, community members in an effective, enthusiastic and respectful manner
- I am honest and act with integrity and respect
I have a team role
- I work collaboratively and with respect with colleagues and other teams
- I strive to have good organizational skills and work well under pressure
- I am dependable and hardworking
I have a career development role
- I am curious, and am willing to learn and develop new skills
I have an innovator and continuous improvement role
- I strive to be innovative and work toward continuous improvement
- I am self-motivated and intuitive about the work I do
- I make practical suggestions for workplace improvements
- I show persistence in the work I do
My Positional Role
In cooperation with Library Experience Supervisor and other colleagues, Library Experience Navigators advance the Library's mission, vision, strategic priorities and brand by:
- Being a curious and engaged learner
- Sharing my ideas
- Interacting with library users, colleagues and community members across multiple points of service in a library facility, designated outreach/engagement location, online or via telephone in a manner that contributes to a delightful library experience
- Assisting with wayfinding related to facilities, services, resources, equipment, and technologies in the library and around the city-county
- Employing critical thinking skills and good judgement to find solutions and opportunities that improve users' library experience
- Actively promoting EVPL, its services, programs, resources and experts to library users and in the community
- Proposing and conducting activities, programs, events and services under the mentorship of a Library Experience Supervisor, Librarian of Practice, or library designee
- Collaborating with colleagues to ensure a welcoming, safe and secure environment
- Managing library accounts, including establishing and deactivating library cards, and handling fines and fees and related transactions
- Effectively communicate and interpret policies and procedures to library users
- Supporting materials management by facilitating materials checkout and check-in, hold requests, selection and deselection and locating and shelving of materials as assigned
- Participating in special projects, or other duties as assigned
What I Need to Know to Be Successful
I need to have an Associate's degree in library technology, education, children's services, or a related field and minimal experience conducting programs for children and others of all ages, working in a library, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
I need a valid driver's license.
What I Need to Know About the Physical Requirements
My work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, frequently requires walking, sitting and using hands to finger, handle or feel and occasionally requires standing, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
Shhh is a four-letter word. It is not in our vocabulary!
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts