- - Facilities and Custodial Team
- Evansville, IN, USA
- Salary Range: $57,978 - $86,967
- Full Time
- Full time benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Our Vision: Communities united through shared exploration and understanding.
Our Mission: We cultivate curiosity by creating wonder.
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Evansville, IN 47713
Start Date: April 22, 2019
I will be a resourceful and knowledgeable leader when managing, directing, and evaluating the custodial, facilities, and security staff. As a trusted supervisor of the Library I understand I will be a role model and should constantly demonstrate a positive attitude. I will endeavor to provide safe, clean, and well maintained facilities and to keep accurate records of reported technical issues in order to properly identify when an upgrade or new system or equipment is needed. I will endeavor to maintain a planned maintenance program for all facilities, vehicles, and systems.
My Role in a Learning Organization
I know that to a library user I am the library, whether I am on the job, riding a bus, or checking out at the grocery store. In my role as the Library, beyond my positional role:
I have a postitive mental attitude and enthusiastic role
- I have a positive mental attitude and enthusiasm for the work I do and as an organizational citizen
- I display initiative to delight a customer with prudent but extraordinary customer service
- I communicate with library users, colleagues, community members in an effective, enthusiastic and resprectful manner
- I am honest and act with integrity and respect
I have a team role
- I work collaboratively and with respect with colleagues and other teams
- I strive to have good organizational skills and work well under pressure
- I am dependable and hardworking
I have a career development role
- I am curious, and am willing to learn and develop new skills
I have an innovator and continuous improvement role
- I strive to be innovative and work toward continuous improvement
- I am self-motivated and intuitive about the work I do
- I make practical suggestions for workplace improvements
- I show persistence in the work I do
My Positional Role
In cooperation with the CEO-Director, Maintenance and Facilities teams and other colleagues, I will advance the Library's mission, vision, strategic priorities and brand by:
- Being a curious and engaged learner
- Sharing my ideas
- Actively supervising and directing custodial, facility maintenance, safety, and security functions for the library; scheduling, coordinating, delegating, selecting, counseling, evaluating, and the hiring of employees; participating in the staff planning and training
- Efficiently directing the maintenance, cleaning and security of building and grounds; reviewing work orders to assess level of importance; receiving and responding to inquiries or concerns from staff or customers
- Competently leading, planning, developing and/or administering projects within my role, in collaboration with project management staff and assigned group participants
- Collaboratively working with the Finance Officer reviewing, negotiating and administering contracts related to building repair, maintenance and replacement services, building/grounds service contracts including snow removal and lawn care/maintenance, equipment, supplies or material purchases
- Successfully providing oversight for the purchasing of inventory related to operations and maintenance projects; meeting with service vendors and contractors to review specifications and project requirements
- Competently planning, developing and administering departmental and project budgets and contracts according to approved methods; recommending cost-saving measures
- Proactively planning, developing, maintaining and administering departmental maintenance programs for building operations and grounds
- Coordinating and scheduling service vendors for grounds and snow removal; scheduling and participating in grounds and snow removal activities as appropriate
- Professionally collaborating with Assistant Facilities Manager the human resources staff to manage an effective safety program for all employees. Taking and recommending safety precautions to ensure buildings, equipment and supplies meet local, state and federal requirements for safe operation; monitoring and inspecting buildings and properties for safe operation
- Administering, scheduling, and participating in emergency afterhours on-call program for facility operation fails, security alarming system, and other weather and natural disaster emergencies
- Assisting with developing the disaster or emergency plan
- Attending and occasionally leading various internal and external meetings, serving on committees and service teams as a member and representative of the Library
- Actively attending and participating in internal and external training as necessary to maintain current technology knowledge or as determined
- Participating in special projects, or other duties as assigned
What I Need to Know to Be Successful
I need to have a Bachelor's degree in a trade, or related field and considerable experience working in facilities management, supervising other employees, working with automated building technology programs, or equivalent combination of education and experience. If I have an industry recognized certification in Facilities Management I may be a preferred candidate.
I need a valid driver's license.
What I Need to Know About the Physical Requirements
My work requires the regular exertion of up to 25 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and lifting, frequently requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms and pushing or pulling and occasionally requires sitting and tasting or smelling; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception, night vision and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection of involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, assembly of fabrication of parts within arm's length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work frequently requires working in high, precarious places, exposure to outdoor weather conditions and exposure to the risk of electrical shock and occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to vibration and exposure to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Shhh is a four-letter word. It is not in our vocabulary!
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.