- - Facilities and Custodial Team
- Evansville, IN, USA
- Part Time
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
If you are a creative and curious person who enjoys working in an organization that focuses on providing delightful experiences, then we encourage you to join our team. Our mission is to cultivate curiosity by creating wonder, which is what we strive to do each and every day. We encourage our employees to be their authentic selves.
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Finding its home in the heart of Evansville, EVPL Central provides information, resources, and support to the city's dynamic downtown residential, cultural, and business communities as well as to Vanderburgh County at large. Distinguished by its landmark Evansville Kiwanis Clock, the 145,000 square foot facility offers extended hours and a wide variety of amenities that include meeting and study spaces, the beautifully appointed Indiana Room, and a U.S. Passport facility. EVPL Central is dedicated to providing our community with the resources it needs. We are proud to offer WiFi, public computer access, printers, and more.
Hours: position is scheduled approximately 20-25 hours per week
Must be available to work flexible hours; including Saturday and Sunday.
Possible shifts: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm or 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Start Date: Immediately
I will be a hard worker who focuses on sustaining the Library and its facilities. I understand I will be a utility person within my team and I must aide to their success. As I maintain my routine of regular cleaning activities, I understand my routine will be delayed if inclement weather requires my attention. I will do my best to help the Library meet and exceed their service to customers.
My Role in a Learning Organization
I know that to a library user I am the library, whether I am on the job, riding a bus, or checking out at the grocery store. I have a positive mental attitude and enthusiastic role for the work I do. I display initiative to delight a customer with extraordinary customer service. I communicate with library users, colleagues, community members in an effective, enthusiastic and respectful manner. I am honest and act with integrity and respect.
I have a team role and work collaboratively with colleagues and other teams. I strive to have good organizational skills and work well under pressure. I am dependable and hardworking.
I have a career development role and am a curious learner and am willing to learn and develop new skills.
I have an innovator and continuous improvement role and strive to make practical suggestions for workplace improvments. I am self-motivated, persistent, and intuitive about the work I do.
My Positional Role
In cooperation with the Custodial Supervisor, Facilities teams, and other colleagues, I will advance the Library's mission, vision, strategic priorities and brand by:
- Being a curious and engaged learner
- Sharing my ideas
- Actively sweeping, mopping, dust mopping, and vacuuming floors, entrance rugs
- Frequently empties trash and recycling bins from buildings; may remove materials to recycling site; collecting and removing trash from building and grounds
- Regularly cleaning floors, walls, lavatories, fixtures and toilets; refilling bathroom supplies
- Regularly cleaning Annex/Clinic rooms
- Eagerly cleaning the grounds, watering and feeding trees
- Repeatedly dusting, wiping and sanitizing furniture and surfaces; including window sills and blinds
- Commonly cleaning windows, doors, and elevator doors
- Eagerly cleaning and sanitizing counters and tables in eating areas; loading and unloading the dishwasher; arranging dishware
- Keenly performing light maintenance such as some minor repairs, light bulb replacement, moving furniture, changing or hanging signs, banners and flags as assigned
- Standing by for accepting, unloading, and possibly delivering materials as received
- Effectively maintaining cleanliness of Library vehicles; refuel vehicles
- Performing messenger responsibilities by efficiently picking up, loading, unloading, and distributing Library materials and supplies at Central Library, branch libraries
- Sporadically assisting with setting up and tearing down of meeting rooms
- Performing snow removal and other inclement weather activities
- Consistently maintaining basic janitorial supplies by using a predetermined list to communicate to Custodial Supervisor; may replenish supplies at other locations
- Setting up coffee for meetings as needed
- Assisting with unlocking and locking public entrance doors
- Professionally communicating with others within the building by telephone and by electronic message
- Participating in special projects, or other duties as assigned
What I Need to Know to Be Successful
I need to have a high school diploma or GED and minimal experience working with commercial cleaning equipment, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
I need to have the ability to work with standard janitorial or maintenance equipment such as floor lifts, leaf blower, snow blowers, fork lifts, vacuum cleaners (standard and riding), steam machines, buffers, carpet cleaners, power washers, standard hand tools, etc.
I need reliable and timely transportation to and from work.
What I Need to Know About the Physical Requirements
My work requires the regular exertion of up to 25 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires standing, walking, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and repetitive motions, frequently requires stooping, kneeling; crouching or crawling and lifting occasionally requires speaking or hearing, climbing or balancing and tasting or smelling; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communications is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to the risk of electrical shock, exposure to vibration and exposure to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Shhh is a four letter word. It is not in our vocabulary!
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.
We conduct background checks as part of our pre-employement screening process and follow all EEOC and FCRA regulations regarding the use of criminal records in the hiring process.